ARTS FIRST Professional Development for Teaching Artists
Professional Development Workshops are offered several times a year to teaching artists on the Artistic Teaching Partners Roster and other interested teaching artists in the community. The purpose of these workshops is to help artists gain the knowledge and skills necessary to teach high quality, in-depth, standards-based arts residencies in schools. This purpose is in alignment with the National Endowment for the Arts’ goals and outcomes.
Past workshop topics have included:
- Introduction to the ARTS FIRST Essential Arts Toolkit
- Laying a Foundation: Defining Arts Integration (with the Kennedy Center)
- Artists as Educators: Planning Effective Residencies for Students (with the Kennedy Center)
- Classroom Management for the Teaching Artist
- Disability Awareness (with VSA)
- Pedagogy Primer – A Workshop Trilogy on Core Principles of Teaching and Learning
The workshops are coordinated by the Hawai’i Arts Alliance with funding from the Hawai’i State Foundation on Culture and the Arts through appropriations from the Legislature of the State of Hawai’i and the National Endowment for the Arts.