ABOUT BIENNIUM GRANTS
The State Foundation on Culture and the Arts (SFCA) provides public funds through Biennium Grants to support projects designed to promote, perpetuate and preserve culture and the arts in Hawai‘i.
The legal provisions of the Biennium Grants are in Sections 9-11 through 9-18 of the Hawai‘i Revised Statutes. The Grants budget is contingent on the State fiscal biennium and appropriations from the Hawai‘i State Legislature and the National Endowment for the Arts. Grants are subject to available funding.
There are four grant categories that align to the SFCA Strategic Priorities 2019-2023. Applicants may submit an application to one of these categories for either or both years. Category and Project can be the same or different for each year.
- Heritage/Preservation (culture)
- Community Arts (engagement)
- Arts Education (education)
- Presentation/Performing Arts (the arts)
Biennium Grant requests must be in the range of minimum $5,000 to maximum $15,000 per application.
ABOUT THE BIENNIUM GRANTS PROCESS FOR FISCAL BIENNIUM 2020-2021
The Biennium Grants are awarded for a two-year period. Organizations may apply to FY2020 | YEAR ONE and/or FY2021 | YEAR TWO. During the application period, all eligible applications received by the application deadline are considered. Grants Panels review the eligible applications and submit their recommendations. The SFCA Board of Commissioners has final approval of the recommendations.
Read more on the SFCA website: SFCA Announces Biennium Grants Recipients for Fiscal Year 2020.
Applicants are subject to meeting Chapter 9 eligibility requirements and policies established by the SFCA.
- Non-profit Organization, 501(c)3 exempt from federal income tax by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Applicant must have at least one year of experience with project to request grant support.
- Only one application per applicant grant cycle.
- Application must be entirely completed and submitted via the GO Smart online application system. No applications will be accepted by email or hard copy.
- Project must take place in the State of Hawai‘i.
BIENNIUM GRANT RESOURCES & REFERENCES
Frequently Asked Questions
click to download: Frequently Asked Questions PDF
Biennium Grant 2020 and 2021 applications are now closed. Please check back frequently or sign up for the SFCA email newsletter to learn about upcoming Biennium Grant application deadlines for 2022 and 2023.
click to download: Application Instructions PDF
click to download: Grant Categories PDF
Organization Legal Eligibility
click to download: Eligibility PDF
Items Not Funded
click to download: Items Not Funded PDF
Brittany Rakowitz, SFCA Community Arts Coordinator