Bills currently impacting the SFCA at the Hawaiʻi State Legislature (as of April 3, 2023)
Click on the bill number to view on the State Legislature’s website:
- HB300 HD1, Relating to the state budget.
Appropriates funds for the operating and capital improvement budget of the Executive Branch for fiscal years 2023-2024 and 2024-2025. (HD1) Appropriates $10,330,535 total General Funds to the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts:
- $7,500,000 to Bishop Museum
- $2,000,000 to Iolani Palace
- $830,535 to the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts
- SCR148, Requesting the state foundation on culture and the arts to establish a museum of modern Hawaii history task force.
- HB478 HD1 SD1, Specifies the qualifications for members of the state foundation on culture and the arts commission. Appropriates funds for the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts Artist Fellowship Program for the awarding of one-time fellowships to promising artists.
- The Senate committee on Transportation and Culture and the Arts recommended the Senate ADVISE AND CONSENT the nomination GM573 submitting for consideration and confirmation to the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts board of commissioners, Gubernatorial Nominee, JANET SATO, for a term to expire 06-30-2024. Sato recently retired after over 30 years as an art teacher at Baldwin High School (Maui).
Hawaiʻi Arts Alliance (HAA), a nonprofit arts advocacy organization and Arts First partner, is maintaining a list of Hawaiʻi arts legislation to watch on their website: HawaiiArtsAlliance.org/advocacy. HAA is also emailing action alerts; to sign up email [email protected].
Other resources for public engagement in the legislative process:
- State Legislature – create a free account to submit testimony, track legislation https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/account/
- Public Access Room – information, facilities, and services to participate in the legislative process https://lrb.hawaii.gov/par/
Photo: view of the Hawaiʻi State Capitol building from Beretania Street. Photo credit: SFCA/Mark Galacgac.