State Foundation on Culture and the Arts
Hawaii’s state government arts agency.
Beginning Monday March 16, 2020, the Hawai‘i State Art Museum (HiSAM) will be closed to the public until further notice. Our priority is to protect the health and safety of our staff and visitors and support local, national and international efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19. While there are no suspected or confirmed cases connected to the museum, we believe that this decision is in the best interest of public health. All public programs scheduled for the months of March and April have been cancelled.
We look forward to announcing when will we will re-open.
State Foundation on Culture and the Arts (SFCA) administrative offices are closed to public. Operations will continue during regular business hours Monday through Friday 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; please contact staff by email or telephone (list of contacts: SFCA staff).
State Foundation on Culture and the Arts
The Artizen by MW cafe and the HiSAM Museum Gallery Shop x MORI are also temporarily closed.
The SFCA COVID-19 Information and Resources page, sfca.hawaii.gov/covid-19-resources, is a collection of resources that may be relevant to you and/or the artists, arts professionals, and organizations with whom you work. We will continue to update this page for as long as it may be useful.
Jump to a section:
The mission of the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts (SFCA) is to promote, perpetuate, preserve and encourage culture and the arts as central to the quality of life of the people of Hawai‘i. SFCA funding is provided by the State of Hawai‘i and the National Endowment for the Arts.
The SFCA is administratively attached to the Department of Accounting and General Services (Hawai‘i Revised Statutes Chapter 9).
No. 1 Capitol District building
250 South Hotel St., Second Floor, Honolulu HI 96813
Telephone: (808) 586-0300
Email: [email protected]
SFCA Strategic Plan 2019-2023
Annual Report FY2019
Enriching the public sphere through the arts
Hawai‘i State Art Museum (HiSAM)
The Hawai‘i State Art Museum is temporarily closed until further notice.
View some of Hawaii’s best contemporary art. Museum admission and activities are always free!
Monday – Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Closed Sunday and all state and federal holidays
HiSAM Information Line: Telephone (808) 586-0900
- Museum website: hisam.hawaii.gov
- Museum event calendar: HiSAM calendar
- Museum exhibits: HiSAM Exhibits
- Artizen by MW Cafe: Telephone (808) 524-0499, menu posted daily at www.artizenbymw.com
- HiSAM Museum Gallery Shop: Telephone (808) 566-6615, website www.shophisam.com
- Rent the Museum: Facilities Rental Program
- Friends of the Hawai‘i State Art Museum
Art in Public Places Program
- About the Art in Public Places Program
- About the Art in Public Places Collection
- Search the Art in Public Places Collection by artist name, artwork title, medium, and more.
- Art for state government buildings (current sites): Elizabeth Baxter, Curator. Telephone (808) 586-9951 or email [email protected].
- Art for state government buildings (new sites): Karen Ewald, Director, Art in Public Places Program. Telephone (808) 586-9950 or email [email protected].
- Invite the SFCA to send an Acquisition Award Selection Committee (AASC) to an exhibit: Relocatable Works of Art. Elizabeth Baxter, Curator. Telephone (808) 586-9951 or email [email protected].
- Recent and Upcoming AASC Exhibit Visits and Gift & Purchase Recommendations: News Blog – AASC
- Permanent/Commissioned Works of Art
Supporting, fostering, and celebrating the artistic expressions of Hawaii’s diverse cultures and communities.
Enhancing public engagement in culture and the arts.
- SFCA Event Calendar
- HiSAM Event Calendar
- SFCA Email Newsletter
- Hawaii State Art Museum Email Newsletter
- SFCA News Blog
- SFCA Annual Report Fiscal Year 2018
Strengthening arts education for all learners.
Arts Education Resources
National Arts Education Initiatives
Links to Resources
- Western States Art Federation
- CaFÉ Call for Entries
- National Endowment for the Arts
- National Assembly of State Arts Agencies
- National Arts Resources
- Hawai‘i Museums
- Local Arts Resources
- Creative Industries Division, State of Hawai‘i Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism
- Statewide Cultural Extension Program (University of Hawaii-Manoa Outreach College)
- Ma‘ema‘e Hawaiian Cultural Tool Kit (Hawaii Tourism Authority)
- State of Hawai‘i eProcurement (HIePro)
- Hawaii Compliance Express